RankandFile.ca is seeking a writer/organizer for a six month position. The new hire will work closely with our editorial team to both produce new content for the website and develop new contacts, writers and readers. The new hire will be expected to produce at least one original news story a month, participate in monthly writers meetings, solicit stories from local activists and signup readers to our weekly email list.
We are looking for an individual who is dedicated and hard-working, well organized, and who has an understanding of the labour movement. The successful candidate will be motivated, have a demonstrated ability to manage their limited time and work independently. The ability to draft news stories in a timely and efficient manner is essential.
The ultimate goal of this position is to help RankandFile.ca grow as organization.
- At least 1 labour news story a month
- Solicit stories from local activists
- Collect emails at actions, public meetings, and other events
- Develop local labour contacts
- Participate in monthly writers meeting
- Distribution of R&F swag
- Familiarity with unions and the labour movement generally
- Ability to write and research news stories
- Ability to work independently
- Strong time-management skills
- Basic understanding of social media platforms and Google file sharing
- Basic understanding of web publishing software WordPress (not required but appreciated)
This is a 6 month contract for 10 hours a month at $15.00 / hour.
RankandFile.ca will consider all applications, but priority will be given to candidates who identify as a member of an equity seeking group. We will also give special consideration to applicants outside of Ontario.
How to apply
Please send your cover letter and resume to firstname.lastname@example.org no later than January 14, 2014. Use job application as the email subject line.