Thanks to a generous donation from the Regina & District Labour Council (RDLC), RankandFile.ca is hiring a Prairie Region Writer/Organizer for a six-month position. This is a 6 month contract with a $1,500 honorarium (approximately $125/article). With thousands of readers from across the country, this is an excellent opportunity to promote labour issues amongst a national audience.
The new hire will work closely with our editorial team to both produce new content for the website and develop new contacts, writers, and readers. The new hire will also be expected to produce at least two original news story a month, solicit stories from local activists, and to signup readers to our weekly email list.
We are looking for an individual who is dedicated and hard-working, well organized, and who has an understanding of the labour and activist community in Alberta, Saskatchewan, or Manitoba. The successful candidate will be motivated, have a demonstrated ability to manage their limited time and work independently. The ability to draft news stories in a timely and efficient manner is essential.
The ultimate goal of this position is to help RankandFile.ca grow as an organization and to promote labour journalism in Canada.
- At least 2 labour news stories a month
- Solicit stories from local activists
- Collect emails at actions, public meetings, and other events
- Develop a network of local labour contacts
- Familiarity with unions and the labour movement generally
- Ability to write and research news stories
- Ability to work independently
- Strong time-management skills
- Basic understanding of social media platforms and Google file sharing
- Basic understanding of web publishing software WordPress (not required but appreciated)
This is a 6 month contract with a $1,500 honorarium (approximately $125/article). The Writer/Organizer will be provided with audio recording equipment and other supplies, if requested.
RankandFile.ca will consider all applications, but priority will be given to candidates who identify as a member of an equity seeking group.
How to apply
Please send your cover letter and resume to firstname.lastname@example.org no later than September 20, 2015 at 5pm CST. Use Prairie Region Writer/Organizer Position as the email subject line.
RankandFile.ca editorial team