We are seeking someone to temporarily back-fill a position. The length of employment is unknown. We anticipate an initial offer of employment for one month with the possibility of extension. The position is available as soon as the selected candidate can start.
The Senior Research Officer will:
· Carry responsibility for the political, social policy, economic policy and collective bargaining research for one or more of CUPE’s industrial groupings and/or public policy areas;
· Prepare CUPE’s positions on legislation and social policy in a variety of formats for various government bodies and consultation processes;
· Prepare policy statements, articles, and other documents for CUPE Officers, staff and CUPE publications;
· Assist servicing staff and members with local and coordinated bargaining, providing relevant comparisons and surveys and advising on specialized aspects such as benefits;
· Use, maintain or develop data-bases to be used to support collective bargaining;
· Prepare and present interest arbitration briefs;
· Assist in preparing bargaining conferences;
· Act as a staff advisor for CUPE National standing committee and sector council; and
· Train CUPE staff and members.
All candidates must have knowledge of, experience in and commitment to the trade union movement, be familiar with issues that unions and workers face, possess excellent oral and written communications skills, and be able to effectively work with people at all levels within the union, government, and other organizations.
Candidates should have extensive knowledge and experience, have a university degree or certification in a related field, or a combination of relevant education and direct work experience. Candidates should be free to travel and able to work weekends, as required.
As part of its commitment to Employment Equity, CUPE encourages applications from qualified members of the five designated groups: women, Aboriginal peoples, persons with disabilities, racialized groups and LGBTTI (lesbians, gay, bisexual people, transgendered, transsexual and intersex people).
Please submit a letter or e-mail indicating your interest and a resume to Shelly Gordon, Director of Research, Job Evaluation and Health and Safety email@example.com, copy to Nathalie Godard, Human Resources, firstname.lastname@example.org by the end of the day Friday April 24. Only candidates selected for an interview will be contacted.